Terpene Tuesday: Caryophyllene
Posted by Susan Lyn Kupiec, RN on 8th Jun 2021
TERPENE: Caryophyllene / kærioʊˈfɪliːn / bicyclic
The body has 2 major endocannabinoid receptors:
- CB1 (receptors are primarily in the brain and central nervous system) and
- CB2 (receptors found mostly in the peripheral organs)
When the cannabinoid THC is ingested, it primarily binds to CB1 receptors, which causes the euphoric effect.
Caryophyllene is a bigger molecule than any other terpene and has a unique cyclobutane ring, which is rarely found in nature and not found in any other terpene.
Caryophyllene is the only terpene known to activate the endocannabinoid receptors in the brain. Due to caryophyllene’s unique molecular structure it also binds with CB2 receptors and may aid in reducing inflammation in the body.
FOUND IN: Cloves, pepper, black caraway, cannabis, hops, basil, oregano, lavender, rosemary, cinnamon, and ylang-ylang.
AROMA/FLAVOR: peppery, spicy, woodsy, floral earthy
- Ease aches and pains
- Decreases inflammation
- Reduces stress
- Research showing to help treat bowel disease
- Early research show binding with CB2 receptor to aid in treating of alcohol dependency
- Chronic Pain
- GSC - full body relaxation (Hybrid)
- Bubba Kush - head to toes relaxation effect while reducing stress and increasing euphoria (Indica)
- Sour Diesel - fasting acting cerebral high, energizing (Sativa)
- Chem Dog - use caution, heavy body and cerebral effect (Hybrid)
- Proceedings Of The National Academy Of Sciences
- Farmacy Santa Barbara
- National Library Of Medicine
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Consult a health provider before taking herbal supplements. This information is intended to provide general information and education and is not to be construed as medical advice or instruction. You must be 18 years of age to purchase products. The Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act requires this notice. NurseGrown Organics, LLC is fully insured.